Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Waking Up in Clouds

I finally got a day that wasn't quite so strenuous. There was plenty of climbing, sure, but it was spread throughout the day. Between climbs I got plenty of rest on level or gradual downhill sections.

My day actually began somewhere in the wee hours of the morning. I had run out of water and woke up thirsty. I decided to put on my headlamp and head out to find a stream. Outside the tent the world was engulfed in dense mist. As I walked my light reflected back off of slowly drifting fog, making it seem like I was walking in a white shrouded maze. I found a trickle of snow melt about half a mile down the trail and filled up. I thought about how hiking half a mile for water seems so normal here, when back home I would take 20 steps to the bathroom tap. I guess in adapting to the conditions of life out here, the inconveniences don't even cross my mind much any more.

When I got up this morning I was still inside a cloud, though it had thinned a bit. I had perhaps 200 yards of visibility, and as I hiked it was like the landscape was a Chinese water color being painted in front of me. By midday the clouds had burned off, and I had a number of open views. I was astonished by the steep glacier carved valley walls. Equally entrancing were the bright colors and unique rock formations. Hillsides of emerald green were dotted with grey and cream boulders, as well as olive green bushes. Wildflowers were everywhere, in reds, purples, yellows, and whites. Brown dirt and forest green pines broke up the smooth flower filled grass, and snow melt streams and waterfalls cut through the land right and left. I took a number of pictures to share.

By late in the day I reached Red Pass, and crossed a saddle heading east into the Chuck River drainage. It was still a huge bowl of snow (pictured), though it was easy to navigate. From here the trail descends out of snow and into a narrow ravine that drops into a valley at the foot of Glacier Peak. Along the way I saw many examples of the power of these snow melt streams. One such example was the remains of a washed out bridge, dwarfed by the cascading water behind it (pictured). Here I met Scott Williamson a.k.a. "Bink." He is a through hiker trying for a new speed record heading southbound this year. I think he already has a record at 64 days! Holy Hell! That's moving.

I am camped in this valley, preparing myself for what everyone seems to say will be a tough day of climbing tomorrow. But before I go, I  did have a few interesting things happen today.

1. Unfortunately I fell off a log while crossing a stream late in the day. I thought "I bet this log is more slippery than it looks. I should slow down and - WAAAAAH!" Fortunately the stream wasn't deeper than my calf and I managed to land on my feet. Unfortunately, the rocks were also slippery and I then fell again. Fortunately I'm a ninja and caught myself on the log, only dipping part of my pack in the creek in the process. It was a whole fortunately unfortunate process.

2. Another wilderboob sighting! I was headed up to White Pass, came around the corner and found three cute girls just hanging out and sunning themselves trailside. One had a bakini, another had a sports bra, and the third was topless. I wondered if I wandered into a beer commercial or something. "Our beer, brewed with crisp Cascade mountain water, will make cute girls frolic on mountaintops while wearing skimpy clothing." Sold! I don't even care if it tastes like Bud Light, I'll take a case.

Alright, after a 36 mile day I better get some rest!