Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

29th Anniversary of God's Gift to Women

Today was a day defined by lakes. I was constantly climbing or descending to one, hiking around one, or marking my progress by the lakes I reached.

I began with a 500 foot climb through deep woods to Deception Lakes, followed by an 800 foot climb up Pieper Pass (Argh my legs are starting to resent me!). From there I had a view down over Glacier Lake (pictured). That peak you see in the background, FYI, is Glacier Peak. From what I understand, that will be the last big challenge before Canada. I descended to the lake only to climb back up 1000 feet to Trap Pass, with its view of Trap Lake (pictured). From there I had a very welcome gradual cruise down to Hope Lake, followed by a short climb to Mig Lake. Next was a 600 foot climb to Susan Jane Lake, then a climb over a ridge and down to highway 2 at Stevens Pass.

At the pass, 22 miles into my day, I stopped for lunch. I was fortunate enough to have cell phone reception, so I made some calls, got some messages from birthday well-wishers, and even spoke to my former college roommate. Mike and I go all the way back to high school cross country, but I haven't spoken with him in about a year. It was nice to catch up, and a definite boost to my morale.

After lunch I had a nice level cruise for a bit (ok, my legs love me again), then a 1200 foot climb to Valhalla Lake (pictured). Another easy downhill cruise to Janice Lake (pictured) gave me the strength I needed to tackle one more 1000 foot climb, to the ridge where I am currently camped. I had planned to Stay at Janice Lake, but this time of year the mosquitoes are starting to come out, so I decided to push on.

I would guess I made 34 miles today, and am pooped. The terrain here is full of sharp ascents and precipitous downhill stretches. What's worse, my guidebook says the section I entered today is the second hardest of the whole trail. Apparently it is second only to the JMT in the high Sierras.

Better get some sleep so I can get at it!