Blog Archive

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Skip the Foreplay

Alright, I got a late start at the day, which means I'm in camp late. So let's just get right to it - this will be a speed through of my day.

1. After posting last night's blog I went to the spa. Met some guy claiming to be the film editor for Tin Cup, Ride the High Country, and whatever Beyonce's latest film is. He adopted a girl from Nepal and is on his way to a get-together of similar families. I guess Nepali kids are collectible or something.

2. After the spa I went to the sauna. Was joined by a guy who had a high paying career but then decided he didn't want to work any more. Now he lives off savings and whatever his extremely supportive wife brings in. Meanwhile he travels and throws Zen wisdom at people. Question: what is Nirvana? Answer: completing something. Get it? Yeah, me neither. He did make a valid point about how I seek out hardship as a means to give greater value through contrast to positive aspects of life. I'll think about that and get back to you as soon as I can detach the concept from the mental image of a middle age man in a sauna, half nude and sweaty.

3. (Note to self: marry someone who will let me retire at 40 too)

4. Got up early and took pictures of the lodge and of my view as I sipped coffee. Had to keep my pinky extended at all times as I walked around, because that's what you do at posh places like that, you know. Had the all-you-can-eat buffet for breakfast. Good food and much needed calories. Called my aunt to arrange for her to meet me in Cascade Locks tomorrow with resupply stuff. Yay!!!

5. I am over the 2100 mile mark!

6. Feet felt better, so I hiked at a good pace. Made 31 miles despite the late start. Stopped to talk to the first SOBO hiker I've met who actually started in Canada. She did, however, skip a large section in Washington due to gnarly snow. She has heard that snow is melting at 3" per day, so maybe it will be better when I get there. Chatted a bit because she had good info, not at all because she was scantily clad.

7. Cruised through woods most of the day, but did have great views of waterfalls on Mt. Hood in the morning (pictured). Also had incredible sunset views (pictured) while cruising a ridgetop toward my camp at Wahtum Lake. The sun didn't set, it turned a molten red and then melted in shimmering waves into a thin line of cloud.

8. Caught views of Mt. Adams with all its snow. Holy ham-fisted salmon spanker! Can't a guy get a rest?!

9. Oh I think I get it. Because Nirvana is a brief and transitory state - that moment of peace after a task is complete, but before you inevitably ruin it by moving on to the next task.... I think???

10. Good night