Blog Archive

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

All Hike and No Play Makes James a Dull Boy

There I lay, in my bag and debating whether to get up or let my legs have another 30 minutes to relax. Before I could make a decision I was distracted by a fluttering in the tree by my tent. I tried to see what the source of the noise was, but it found me first. A red tailed hawk swooped down and landed on my tent pole. For about 30 seconds he perched there, looking around for breakfast. I slowly reached for my phone to take a picture. He heard me and stared down at me, 2.5 feet below him. He looked me over for a moment then flew off. What a magnificent bird and what a way to start my morning!

When I got out of my tent I was greeted by a cloud covered view of the lake (pictured). Then I set off. There is something about morning and evening sunlight that is magical. Afternoon light cuts through the trees, but this morning the light seemed somehow thicker. It poured in like honey and slowly filled every crack in the bark of the old growth pines around me. It was a rolling 17 mile hike through forest to get to the base of Mt. Hood. My foot felt a bit better today. I'm still limping a bit, but not as badly. So I made it to the mountain without much trouble. Along the way I met some southbound section hikers who gave me welcome news. Apparently the snow isn't too bad getting around Hood.

At the base of the mountain I passed a trail register and saw that Pockets is only two days ahead of me. I called him later in the day and found out he is in Cascade Locks. He will be slowing his pace because he heard that the snow in Washington is still bad. On Three Fingered Jack I had met a dayhiker from Washington who had basically said the same thing. She said the locals were calling last month June-uary because of the high snow pack. Great. I have to decide whether to quit in Portland, a day and a half away, or to try to push through. To hike or not to hike? Whether 'tis nobler to suffer the snows... etc. etc.

A 2000 foot climb brought me up to the hip of Mt. Hood, where I arrived at Timberline Lodge. You may have seen the lodge before. It is celebrating 75 years in operation, and has been the set of several films. Most notably, it is the outside of the lodge seen in The Shining. The exterior looks a bit like a large French Château to me. The interior, though, is what impressed me. It is like staying in a museum. It is full of custom textiles, ironwork, carpentry, and fine art. Brochures guide you through the lodge, built in 1936 to 1938, just so you can take in these marvels. In addition to the history, the giant windows take in views of the mountain as well as views over the landscape to the south. I took a number of pictures around the lodge and will take more in the morning.

Staying here is a bit expensive, but with my feet in marginal shape I decided to treat myself. I'll be soaking in the hot tub tonight and enjoying and all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet in the morning. Not to mention showers and free laundry! I'm one happy boy.