Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tooth Powder

   During my gear shopping I have been on the lookout for tooth powder to replace the heavier and bulkier toothpaste. So far I have not seen any, and I was resigning myself to a dedicated trip to a specialty health food shop when I realized I could probably make my own. A quick internet search confirmed this belief, and I set about making a batch on my lunch break.


ATTEMPT #1
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon salt


   After gagging on the overwhelming amount of salt in my concoction I thought that perhaps toothpaste was worth the weight. Then something strange happened. As I was walking back to work I noticed that my mouth felt cleaner than days when I brushed with regular toothpaste. in fact, my mouth felt so clean that I decided to give it another shot.


ATTEMPT #2
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


   Much better, though still a bit too salty and spicy. However, the extra flavors were worth adding, and I read somewhere that cinnamon helps fight bacteria while clove eases tooth sensitivity.


ATTEMPT #3
2 tablespoons baking soda
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves


   Success? I wasn't in love with the flavor, but it wasn't unbearable either. I still had a fresh feeling, and the mixture is lighter than toothpaste. I think I'll stick with it!